21 Sep EP. 1: Understanding How Things Work in The Publishing Industry with Kiki Ringer
Welcome to the Rebel Maker Podcast! In season one, we will dive deep into the publishing industry because if you’re here, you probably believe much like I do that books change lives. In every field and every industry, published authors have increased credibility, authority, and income.
But writing and publishing a book can sound intimidating, especially if you don’t know how things work, how you get paid for writing books, and what steps you need to take to go from book idea to book published.
So, in this first episode, we have a special guest with nearly 30 years in the publishing and entertainment industries, Kirsten “Kiki” Ringer. Her experience includes The Walt Disney Studios, Penguin Putnam, and the venerable Russell & Volkening Literary Agency in New York, where she worked with Nobel and Pulitzer Prize-winning authors.
In this episode:
- [05:03] What a literary agent is and what you need to know about traditional publishing
- [06:11] How to find the literary agent that is going to be the best fit for you and your book
- [10:53] How do you get paid for writing your book?
- [18:56] The most important things to consider before publishing a book
- [25:18] What you need to know about marketing your book
- [30:36] What is a publisher? What does a publisher do?
- [35:17] Self-publishing your book: most common mistakes
- [37:00] Book Recommendation: The most life-changing book Kiki has read
Noteworthy quote from this episode:
“…I find traditional publishing so restrictive. Unfortunately, it’s not always about the quality of the book; it’s about the platform. It’s about how marketable this is […] which is why I think I’ve leaned more toward self-publishing or independent publishing.”